In order to include different aspects of regional interactions, 3-dimensional limited area models are applied and further developed.
The range of models covers meteorological models including atmosphere-soil interactions, coupled meteorology-biosphere and meteorology-chemistry models, as well as hydrological models.
- WRF (Weather Research and Forecast Model)
Sucessor of MM5, developed by NCAR and other institutions
- WRF/Chem (Weather Research and Forecast Model with atmospheric chemistry)
Includes numerous gas phase chemistry and aerosol options. Developed at NOAA and PNNL
- MCCM (Mesoscale Climate Chemistry Model)
Online coupled meteorology-chemistry model developed at IMK-IFU on the basis of MM5
- MM5 (Fifth Generation Mesoscale Model)
Regional meteorological and climate model developed by Penn State Universiity and NCAR
- COSMO-CLM (Climate version of the COSMO Local Model)
Regional climate model developed by the German modelling community from the Local Model (LM) of the COSMO consortium
- GRAL (Graz Lagrangian Model)
Micro-scale Lagrangian dispersion model developed by the Institute for Internal Combustion Engines and Thermodynamics of TU Graz