ExpeER (Experimentation in Ecosystem Research) is an european project (2010-2014) which aims to bring together, for the first time, the major observational, experimental, analytical and modelling facilities in ecosystem science in Europe. By uniting these highly instrumented ecosystem research facilities under the same umbrella and with a common vision, ExpeER intends to form a key contribution for structuring the very fragmented research community on terrestrial ecosystems within the European Research Area and improving the quality and the performance of these infrastructure components in a durable and sustainable manner.
ExpeER will promote access to its state-of-the-art research infrastructures in :
- enabling collaboration and integration across experimental, observational and modeling approaches in ecosystem research,
- improving the technology and methodology at play in ExpeER infrastructures through specific research programs,
- hosting research teams within its 33 sites and platforms through a strong and coordinated program for Transnational Access,
- linking these highly instrumented facilities to existing networks of less technology oriented sites across Europe (e.g. LTER-Europe),
- providing open data bases and modeling platforms well designed and well interfaced to scientific communities around the world for simulation analysis and forecasting of ecosystem function and services under different scenarios.