Studies of biology and geography, Justus-Liebig University Giessen, 1992 Ph D in biology (Technical University of Munich) with a work focusing on biosphere-atmosphere CH4 exchange processes in rice paddies; since 1993 at IMK-IFU; 2002 Habilitation in soil ecology at the Albert-Ludwigs-Universität Freiburg, since 2005 Guest-Research-Professor at the Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China; since 2006 Honorary Principal Fellow in the School of Forest and Ecosystem Science, University of Melbourne, Australia. Since 2007 apl. Professor at the University of Freiburg; since 2008 Head of Department “Atmosphere/ Biosphere Interactions and Global Change” at IMK-IFU, Karlsruhe Research Centre.
- Feedback of global environmental changes on terrestrial ecosystems and biosphere-atmosphere-exchange of environmental important trace substances (N2O, NOx, CH4, CO2)
- Identification and characterisation of microbial processes involved in N- and C-trace gas production and consumption
- Process oriented modelling of carbon/ nitrogen turnover in terrestrial ecosystems
- Calculation of emission inventories of biogenic trace substances on regional and global scales
Editorial board memberships
- Klaus Butterbach-Bahl (12537 Citations, H-Index: 62, 2020-02-07)