Studied Biology und Chemistry at the Technische Universität München. There, he persued his phD studies with H. Ziegler and graduated in 1989. After his postdoc time at the Institute of Botany and Microbiology he joined the IMK-IFU in 1990. Since then he headed different research groups focusing on ‘Biogenic Volatile Organic Compounds’. In 2002 he was elected chair of the Gordon Research Conference on ‘Biogenic Hydrocarbons and the Atmosphere’. In 2004 he was appointed as lecturer in the postgraduate program of Earth Sciences at the National University of Mexico, Mexico City. Since 2005 he is member of the Expert Panel of the UNCEC Task Force ‚Emission Inventories and Projections’ chairing the ‘Nature’ section and head of the Global Atmospheric Watch World Calibration Centre for volatile organic compounds.
- Environment-plant/plant communites interactions
- Process- and modelling studies on trace compound emission from the biosphere in particular resulting from environmental change.
- Impact of biogenic trace compounds and their oxidation products on the atmosphere
- EU-Future-VOC: ‘Biogenic volatile organic compound (BVOC) emission of European forests under future CO2 levels: Influence on compound composition and source strength’; http://imk-ifu.kit.edu/future-voc/
- BMBF-BEWA2000: ‘Regional biogenic emissions of reactive volatile organic compounds (BVOC) from forests: Process studies, modelling and validation experiments (BEWA 2000).’; http://imk-ifu.kit.edu/bewa2000/
- UBA-WCC-VOC: ‘World calibration centre for volatile organic compounds’; http://imk-ifu.kit.edu/wcc-voc/
- Querco: ‘Oak Ecosystems and Environmental Change: The isoprenoid emission’; http://www.wsl.ch/fe/walddynamik/projekte/querco/index_DE
- Lectures, practical training, excursions on topics of ‘Biosphere/Atmosphere Interaction’ at the Technische Universität München, Institute of Botany and Microbiology (1992-1995) as well as at the National University of Mexico, Mexico City (since 2002).