- Nitrogen and carbon cycles
- Biogeochemistry and hydrology of water-logged soils
- Exchange of greenhouse gases at the soil/atmosphere–interface
- Use of stable C, N and O isotopes as tools to studying ecology
- Interactions between plants, soil and atmosphere
- WASCAL – West African Science Service Center on Climate Change and Adapted Land Use – Climate Observation Network
- Impact of long term nutrient infiltration and altered hydrologic conditions on carbon cycling and ecosystem functioning in a northern temperate bog (Ontario, Canada)
- Berger S, Praetzel L, Goebel M, Blodau C, Knorr K-H. Differential response of carbon cycling to long-term nutrient input and altered hydrological conditions in a continental Canadian peatland. Biogeosciences 15 (2018) 885–903.
- Berger S, Gebauer G, Blodau C, Knorr K-H. Peatlands in a eutrophic world – assessing the state of a poor fen-bog transition in southern Ontario, Canada, after long term nutrient input and altered hydrological conditions. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 114 (2017) 131–144.
- Burger M, Berger S, Spangenberg I, Blodau C. Summer fluxes of methane and carbon dioxide from a pond and floating mat in a continental Canadian peatland. Biogeosciences 13 (2016) 3777-3791.
- Berger S, Jang I, Seo J, Kang H, Gebauer G. A record of N2O and CH4 emissions and underlying processes of Korean rice paddies as affected by different water management practices. Biogeochemistry 115 (2013) 317-332.
- Berger S, Kim Y, Kettering J, Gebauer G. Plastic mulching in agriculture - friend or foe of N2O emissions? Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment, 167 (2013) 43-51.
This is a short documentary by Deutsche Welle TV on our work in Burkina Faso. It shows options and limitations of our WASCAL climate observation network and a new technology to measure rain.
This is a video made by my friends of Skylike. It shows our research activities in Ontario, Canada, where we measured greenhouse gas fluxes and analyzed peat quality and decomposability in a gorgeous peatland full of pitcher plants and cotton grass.